Defend Against Spam Using Microsoft Defender – Tech Tip for November 17, 2020
This week, as part of our monthly theme of combating spam, we are going to focus on Microsoft Defender for Office 365. Microsoft Defender for Office 365 is a cloud-based email filtering service that helps protect your organization against unknown spam, malware, and viruses. Formerly known as Office 365 Advance, Microsoft Defender is a robust solution for safeguarding your organization against malicious threats posted by email messages, links (URLs), and collaboration tools. It is compatible with Microsoft Look and the entire Office suite. When appropriately used, Microsoft Defender can keep spam of out of your hair and prevent threat actors from getting into your network.
Built-in Features for Dealing with Spam
Microsoft Defender for Office 365 comes fully equipped with the following built-in features that protect against benign or malicious emails:
- Safe Attachments & Links: Provide an additional layer of protection for email attachments and links by checking URLs and content in emails before they’re delivered to the recipient.
- Anti-phishing policies: Define anti-phishing policies to identify and response to phishing attempts.
- Threat protection policies: Define threat-protection policies to set the appropriate level of protection for your organization.
- Reports: View real-time reports to monitor Defender for Office 365 performance in your organization.
- Threat investigation and response capabilities: Use leading-edge tools to investigate, understand, simulate, and prevent threats.
- Automated investigation and response capabilities: Save time and effort investigating and mitigating threats.