Let The Games Begin: Tech Gifts for Gamers – Tech Tip for December 15, 2020
Are you considering buying a new PC for the gamer in your life (or perhaps you are that gamer)? Wading through the tech specs and recommendations for gaming PCs can be pretty challenging. As part of this month’s tech gift series, here are TechWise Group’s tips for selecting the ultimate PC and accessories for gaming. Keep in mind, we’re techies and gaming enthusiasts so there is nothing low budget about our recommendations.
RAM, Processors and Graphics
Today’s games are highly interactive and include rich graphics. They place a heavy load on a PC. Here are our recommendations for specs:
RAM: No less that 16GB with 32 GB is recommended.
CPU and GPU:
- If you are going the Intel route, stick with NVIDIA for the GPU. Our recommendation is Intel i5 9th generation, but i7 is best with no less than NVIDIA 2060 Super.
- Going with AMD? Our recommendation is AMD Radeon RX 5500 with a Ryzen 3 3200 at minimum. However, Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 are your best bet.
There’s a lot to take into consideration when you’re looking at monitors for gaming: refresh rates, image quality, G-Sync, FreeSync, ports, etc. Here are some things to consider:
- G-Sync works with Nvidia graphic cards while FreeSync works with AMD.
- Higher refresh rates have been proven to increase your KDA ratio (kills, deaths, assists) so a monitor with 144Hz should be your minimum starting point.
- A general rule for image quality is TN < IPS < VA, but they all have pros and cons.
- As for the actual ports on the monitor? Go with DisplayPort over HDMI for gaming.
The Gigabyte G27F is a fantastic contender for the 27” monitor crowd. You can find it at Newegg.
Mechanical keyboards and mice with cables are the way to go for the serious gamer along with a quality head set. Here are recommendations from PC Gamer for best gaming mice, keyboards and headsets:
Best gaming mouse for 2020 | PC Gamer
Best gaming keyboards for 2020 | PC Gamer
The best gaming headsets in 2020 | PC Gamer
Best Pre-Built Machines
We are inclined to build our own gaming PCs because it’s fun and well… we can. However, if you’ve fallen for the cool form factors and flashy, blinky lights available on the pre-built gaming machines or just want to get gaming right away, here are a couple of machines to consider:
Buy Corsair ONE i164 Compact Gaming Desktop – Microsoft Store
Buy CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool SLC4200MST Gaming Desktop – Microsoft Store
What We’re Playing Right Now
The big game release this season is Cyberpunk 2077. While versions are available for Xbox and other gaming platforms, this game was designed by PC Gamer and is best played on a PC. You can check out a complete review here: Cyberpunk 2077 review | PC Gamer