Teams’ Wiki is Being Replaced by OneNote – Tech Tip For March 21, 2023
In January, Microsoft announced that it is retiring wiki and replacing it with OneNote. Initially, the transition was set to begin in February 2023, but after hearing from many concerned users, Microsoft decided to start the phase-out process in March. In this week’s Tech Tip, we’re diving deeper into what wiki’s retirement means for its users.
Wiki’s Planned Phase-Out Timeline
March 2023 – Users will no longer be able to create new wikis, but they’ll still be able to read and edit their old wikis. They’ll also be able to export them into OneNote. Once the notes are exported, however, the user will no longer have access to them in wiki.
Summer 2023 – Microsoft plans to remove the wiki tab in Teams channels. If you still need access to your wikis, you’ll need to use the wiki app. Through the app, you’ll still be able to export your content into OneNote.
January 2024 – The wiki tab and app will be retired entirely. You’ll still be able to access your data in Sharepoint though.
OneNote Offers Enhanced Note Taking abilities
OneNote has many of the same benefits as wiki in Teams channels, but users will enjoy OneNote’s new features even more.
- You’ll have easier collaboration with your team.
- Your organization’s channel notes will be in one location and organized within a single notebook.
- OneNote allows rich editing, including highlighting and attaching files.
- OneNote is integrated with all Microsoft 365 applications, so you can search for notes across apps, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
If your team is ready to transition from Wiki to OneNote in Teams, let TechWise Group help! Our experts are well-versed in Microsoft products and can guide you through the process. We’ll ensure that your team stays productive as you make the switch and help you take advantage of OneNote’s enhanced note taking capabilities. Contact us today to learn more!
Important Microsoft Announcements:
- If you have not already moved to NCE licensing for your organization or if you have questions about upcoming renewals, please contact us at email@example.com to understand your options.
- MFA is the best way to prevent cyberthreats. If you have not enabled MFA in your organization, let us help you put a plan in place.
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 Extended Support will end on October 10, 2023. If your organization is still running these operating systems, please contact us to discuss your options.